Thursday, April 16, 2009

Lucious Lemonade

While in California, my darling brother Mychal picked a box of lemons for me from off his tree. I carried the precious cargo home determined to satiate my craving for fresh lemonade. Now, though always a lemonade lover, my many trips to Mexico have shown me that there is a superior way to make it. Someone on line has to know how.

I set to work trying various recipes. The one from Martha Stewart sounded the most promising as it was the most complicated. I figured that it must take a lot of work to make lemonade so amazing. It called for roasting sugared lemons for an hour and adding a bit of vanilla. Ooooh. How can anything with vanilla be bad? WRONG! Disgusting! Now I know how they make those horrible expensive bottled bitter sparkling lemonades I have purchased in search of my lemonade fix. Note, not even my children would drink it for lunch.

So, on to round 2 and then round 3. Finally in desperation, I tried one of the simplest recipes I could find. SUCCESS! O.K., not total Mexican perfection, but pretty darn close. Fresh tasting, tart, not too sweet, and sparkly. I used club soda though the bar tender in Mexico told me he used mineral water. I'll try that next time. Floating strawberries in it made it Sooo much better. I am happy. I just wish I had a lemon tree so I could" do the twist" more often.

Sparkling Lemonade

Serves 6-8

Ingredients

garnish

Directions

  1. In a large pitcher, combine cold water, lemon juice and sugar, stir until sugar dissolves.
  2. Cover and refrigerate until chilled.
  3. Just before serving, gradually add soda water down edge of pitcher, stir to mix.
  4. Garnish.
  5. Pour lemonade over ice cubes in glasses.
  6. Garnish each serving with lemon slices and mint sprig or fresh berries.

No comments:

Post a Comment