Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Dreams of a Bluebird Chocolate Soda

Briz and I attended a university located in the quaint mountain-top town I grew up in. When pressures mounted and we felt drab and ho-hum, we counted our change and went to the Bluebird.

For our type of fix, we sat at the long mirrored marble bar, lined with covered glass tiers of pies, cakes and other delicacies. Behind us was the chocolate display where bins of hand dipped chocolates and confections were displayed for purchase. Seated on twisty bar stools , we watched as the soda fountain attendant mixed our Chocolate Sodas.

After the whipped cream was squirted on and the cherry placed on top, I'd sip and dream. In a place like this, it is easy to imagine oneself in a poodle skirt with a high pony tail. I'd look over and flirt a little with my husband, imagining that we were on a first high school date or meeting after the big game. While I was at it, I imagined my parents, who were high school sweethearts, sitting at this same bar, in this same town, drinking my beloved sodas. The Bluebird was around when my grandparents dated so I imagined them as well. My soda always disappeared too quickly, and we were too poor to buy another. I suppose it was just as well because the soda remained special.

I just lay with Sunshine till I heard the sucking of her finger subside. Delirious with excitement, I tiptoed downstairs to have a few moments of peace and maybe a dream or two.
With my soda, I sat on my porch with a bit of reading inspiration. Nostalgia and happy dreams of hope and youth once again filled my head. Here is the recipe as I watched them make it.

Bluebird Chocolate Soda
2-3 Tbs chocolate syrup
vanilla ice cream
1 1/4 cup seltzer water
3 Tbs. milk
Squirt of fresh lemon juice (optional: I add but never saw the Bluebird do this.)

In a tall glass mix chocolate syrup, 1 miniature scoop of ice cream, and the milk.
Pour seltzer water down the side of the glass until 2 inches from the top. Plop a large scoop of ice cream or maybe more if you want it into the soda. A squirt of whipped cream and a cherry make it the to die for!

1 comment:

  1. gotta try this- that's a family history drink if I ever heard of one.

    ReplyDelete