Saturday, May 23, 2009

Hair Togetherness

So I am looking for examples of selfless actions in marriage . . . something to pattern after.

Today in Smith's Marketplace somewhere between the cucumber starts and the reduced price ground beef I received enlightenment. A couple, in the late forty, maybe early fifty range, held hands, by the fingertips. Both smiled with enjoyment at friends they were talking with. As I approached I noticed they looked like twins.

My mind processed the meaning of their matching haircuts. Both were shaved to the skull. My heart twisted as I recognized the solidarity of the action. The wife was obviously being treated for cancer, and in my mind's eye, I saw them sit down together with the hair trimmer the night before chemotherapy. He refused to let her face it alone and shared it with her the best he could. I have never seen a more attractive couple. Even now, I cry as I think about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment