Monday, May 25, 2009

Family Memorials

Today was flavored with memories, inspiration, healing, and family love. We traveled to Cache Valley, where I was raised, pictures in hand to remember. The Hyrum
cemetery, already bright with offerings was still and quiet early in the morning. I shared stories with the next generation, and stilled my own heart in the process.

While searching for a set of great grandparents I never knew, I spied a solitary elderly woman, bent over meditating. Though I'd never seen her before, she seemed so familiar I approached.

"Who are you?" She demanded. I hesitated, not knowing how to respond. "Why are you in the McBride plat?"

"I'm Elva's grand-daughter." I replied. "Well, you belong here then. I'm her sister. Folks call me Ginger." She shared some hazy memories and showed me graves of 3 toddler siblings. She asked for a visit and invited me to her reunion. We embraced, then I left to calm my agitated and bored crowd.

The majority of my day was spent with those I love in Logan. I was inspired by the creativity, depth, and relationships of my friends. They are true artists with the deep inner vision that the rest of us gaze through. We dined together, and I felt gratitude for the funny thing called genetics that allows me to have so many friends that might not have given me the time of day if not for shared genes. How richer my life is for that fact.

My grandma took me to a Northern cemetery. "Children, I know you are getting tired. Please come and listen. Someday, you will need to share the stories with your children. Its very important." So they came out and tried the best they could (like I used to) to pay attention to a long winded Grandma. As we moved off, we were spotted by other Memorial visitors and a small and family reunion ensued. Clyde, Stella, Harley, and Mary were aging. Clyde now looked just like the Great Grandpa whose grave we were visiting.

Time heals. Time brings all things together. Our journeys take us various places in pain, or joy, but bring us back to this.

On our way out of town, we stopped to see Greg and Deonne. Dinner cooked on their open fire, cousins shared, enjoyed and chased.

"What do I have to do to get you to stay the night?" D asked? "Provide us with some clothes." I answered. "Done."

It's amazing what a smart determined woman can do.

Clothed in skulls, mutant turtles, and other space ships, my girls enjoyed a late night movie party with their cousins, while the adults talked.

Morning brought bad breath (no toothbrush), sweet babies to love, and homemade pancakes with strawberries and cream. I arrive home, smelly, tired and happy.

"Wow, we're having just a good old time this weekend!" announced Ladybug.

1 comment:

  1. thank you for sharing. We were with you vicariously. It brought fond memories back to the both of us.
    mom & Dad

    ReplyDelete