Thursday, July 2, 2009

Mint Ice Cream

I have a love affair with homemade ice cream. I sneak off at the most inopportune moments to buy cream (the only item I don't keep regularly in the house). After indulging, I suffer the pains of the lactose intolerant and swear I'll never do it again. But then . . . another flavor calls.

I love my Cuisinart Ice Cream Maker. I keep a bowl in the freezer at all times, so homemade ice cream is never more than 20 minutes away.


Today, the heat reached 90 degrees. I know. Not hot compared to some places, But I longed for some minty freshness as I walked by my neighbors mint patch. I felt like the father in Rapunzel as I cut some of their mint, although done with permission. Briz, not a mint fan, thought this was the best mint ice cream he had tried.

Mint Ice Cream
1 handful of fresh mint leaves (1/2-1 cup)
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup condensed milk
1/2 cup whole milk
2 cups heavy or whipping cream

  1. Place mint and sugar in a bowl. With the back of a spoon crush the leaves into the sugar, releasing the oils into the sugar.
  2. Add milks and cream to mint mixture and let sit for 1 hour to overnight, depending on the amount of mintyness you like.
  3. Strain mixture out into ice cream maker. Add chocolate chunks if desired. I usually leave them out.
  4. Freeze according to directions.
Enjoy a bit of minty heaven this 4th of July! It makes me feel a patriotic just thinking about it!

No comments:

Post a Comment