Sunday, January 30, 2011

Where's Waldo?

Days, months, years go by.  I bottle fruit, drive carpool, scrub toilets, mix bran muffins.  Adventure?  Hardly.  I am prosaic, practical, and sometimes sharp tongued.   I don't always love this part of me, but the season demands. . . At least until Wednesday night. 

I answered the doorbell.  Was that Melanie?  "Wow what bouncy hair.  Is it a wig?  Are those your REAL eyelashes?  Those are HOT glasses."

"All is real she answers.  I just don't take the time to take care of myself like I used to."  Man, do I get it.  We hop into the mini van giggling like high school girls out to drag main or find trouble.  In reality, we are waldos.  The young men and women in our church will come to the mall and find us and several other members. 


Melanie and I tour the food court, sampling, and sniffing.  She decides on Greek and purchases a plate.  As we walk through to pay, the 20 something year old young man with a pony tail gave me a smouldering look.  "Your hair is totally hot on you."  He quips giving me the look.  The manager adds, "I love the color."  Certain that they are mocking my old lady wig I smile and say, "It probably looks fake but do you think it will pass at a distance?" 

With all sincerity he answered, "It's fake?  I'd never know.  You don't really look like this?"  He was a bit disapointed.  "Maybe you should try it."  Melonie and I made it to our seats before bursting out in laughter. 

The hour passed quickly.  We never even got to our stacks of reading material and only used the to pick up and read when the youth got close and we hoped they'd miss us.  Our different selves enjoyed the adventure of being slightly different - just a bit incognito for a night. 

After everyone had found us, we wandered till we found the other waldos.  Fake mustaches, wigs, mullets, and unknown grandchildren made us giggle.  Everyone was feeling as giddy as we were.  No doubt this activity was for the youth, but I think the waldos enjoyed it more. 

My advice is that anyone who hasn't been complimented in years upon years should don an old lady wig and walk the malls.  There are young hotties that must really like the motherly look. 

2 comments:

  1. I love it! You guys look great! I was so mad that Sean wasn't able to go on this activity because I wanted to tag along with him. Looks like a fun night was had by all. Oh, and who is the man in the bow tie?

    ReplyDelete