Monday, August 3, 2009

Secrets of Simplicity . . .

A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.
-Lao-Lzu

Life is a series of journeys, that bring us closer to the life we envision for ourselves. The beginning of the school year is my "new year". I reorganize, re prioritize, and plot a continuation of my path.

My first step is to bring balance and unity between myself and my surroundings. I was inspired by this quote.

He who must travel happily must travel light.
-Antoine De Saint-Exupery

Oooooh! I believe in traveling light. Do my surroundings reflect this belief? I wandered though my home, where I spend most of my days. I noticed the piles of possessions that have been holding me prisoner. I indignantly yelled, "You will not get my time anymore! I barely have enough time for my life's purpose. I organize you and reorganize you, and pick you up, and put you away . . . you are taking time from those I love the most. I DON"T love you that much!!!! You're out of here!"

I started late at night with my closet.

I asked each item,

Do you fit?
Are you worn or torn?
Are you out of fashion?
When was the last time I wore you?
Will I wear you again?

Some items put up quite a fight. The most defiant were the oldest and most deeply entrenched, (over 14 years old). A black bikini and a beautiful dove gray suit with pearlized buttons refused to go in the give away box, even though they did not answer my questions appropriately. I finally asked myself. Why can't I get rid of these? I would die if my kids found the bikini! The suit has dust on it. A small voice defiantly answered, "I looked hot in that bikini! I was in shape back then." and "That was my favorite business suit that I wore to all my most important meetings. I was respected and important back then." I realized the crux of the matter is that I was relying on these ancient items, hidden from sight, to give myself value. As neither reflect who I am today, I knew they needed to go.

Three carloads to the D.I. in three days have left me feeling lighter, happier and ready to move on to the next closet...room... defiant object. I'm a fighter!

1 comment:

  1. ah ha! That's what I shall do today- if you can do it, so can I!

    ReplyDelete