Sunday, October 10, 2010

Homecoming

I trotted over the lawns that separate our homes around 5:45.   K. ran up the stairs, hugged me, and jumped up and down because she knew I shared her excitement.  Her big sister was going to her first big dance.  The other little girls all talked at once, spilling over each other with exuberance.  Finally, they made me shut my eyes as M. made her big entrance. 

She was beautiful.  Inside and out.  Everything from her hair down to her shoes was classy and elegant.  "I don't feel like myself."  She commented.  I wanted to say, "Finally, you begin to resemble yourself." But I didn't. 

Little sisters watched anxiously for the first glimpse of "the date."  Others gathered around the computer to talk to mom and dad long distance via computer.  Briz arrived sporting his weapon in an obvious place.  We talked him out of making M's poor date write his name on a bullet.  "It is important for all guys to know that the girl they're taking out is loved and that a guy who knows what they're thinking is watching out for that girl."  Well, we girls don't understand that, but we trusted Briz to be nice.


At the appropriate moment, we called M in to make her appearance.  Like my mother before me, I had to teach how to pin on the flower.   With great excitement she exited the house.  As the car door closed at the front of the house, the house full of girls, including Little Mother and myself, jumped up and down with the excitement of it all and the pleasure of helping her get off happily.


I kidnaped this elegant girl for her first day in Young Womens.  I've gone to her plays, her violin recitals.   I've helped her with school projects, and been a reference for her in jobs.  Someday, I hope to attend her wedding, and maybe even hold her child.  It is such an honor to be in people's lives.... to be there at the crossroads... to share a bit of their exciting time on earth.  To have a bit of involvement with their emergence.  Once I was so sad at limiting my influence with only 3 children.  Now, I see that for me, it opened me up to experience the joy of many many more children than I could effectively parent.  It's a good job for me.




No comments:

Post a Comment